Visitor Services Internship
ATC Visitor Center - Harpers Ferry, West Virginia
Marketing and Communications
Jeff Metzger Visitor Center Coordinator
The Appalachian Trail Conservancy’s mission is to preserve and manage the Appalachian Trail – ensuring that its vast natural beauty and priceless cultural heritage can be shared and enjoyed today, tomorrow, and for centuries to come.
The Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) is seeking a Visitor Services Intern to assist in the Marketing and Communications Department. Under general supervision, the intern will assist in all functions related to the visitor center operations. The visitor center receives around 3,000 visitors a month varying from long distance hikers, day hikers, potential hikers, general visitors, kids, and people from all over the world. This position requires facilitating hikers, providing information on local hikes and attractions, and being a reliable source for A.T. information trail wide. This position requires some weekend work. Guidance and training will be provided.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Greet visitors and educate them about the A.T. and ATC
- Give visitors reliable and useful information about local hikes and attractions
- Greet and take photos of hikers
- Maintain hiker package list and hand out packages to visiting hikers
- Assist with store inventory and all aspects of stocking visitor center
- Assist with paperwork and data entry related to ATC’s hiker photo archives, 2000-miler database, and membership database
- Provide insight and develop a presentation reporting visitor center effectiveness
- Assist with answering information requests by phone, email, and mail
- Other duties as assigned
- Has or is working towards a Bachelor’s degree in hospitality and tourism, outdoor education, recreation management, communications, or related field.
- Owns/has access to a reliable laptop to bring to work each day, equipped with Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience and passion for working with the public
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite
- Great communication skills and outgoing personality
- Preferred: Knowledge about the A.T. and local hikes in Harpers Ferry and surrounding areas, as well as a passion for hiking.
EXPLORE MORE POSITIONS
To apply for this position please submit your resume to: [email protected] All resumes should be emailed as a Microsoft Word document, saved as "Last Name_First Name". Please indicate in your email (preferable in the subject line) the position you are applying for along with the term. For example "Visitor Services Intern_Summer20XX".
Summer Term: Applications due second week of April.