Public Relations Internship
Harpers Ferry, West Virginia
Marketing and Communications
Director, Marketing and Communications
Internship - Unpaid, Living Stipend Provided
The Appalachian Trail Conservancy’s mission is to preserve and manage the Appalachian Trail – ensuring that its vast natural beauty and priceless cultural heritage can be shared and enjoyed today, tomorrow, and for centuries to come.
The Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) is searching for a public relations intern to assist with the organization’s ongoing media efforts. This internship will offer valuable experience with news and media relations in the nonprofit sector. Guidance and training will be provided. The public relations intern will also receive a stipend to assist with housing and other living costs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The ATC marketing and communications department will be spearheading multiple initiatives this year in order to further develop its nationwide media outreach and provide a greater connection with Appalachian Trail hikers and communities. We aim to solidify our position as the official voice for the Trail, providing information to a broad, diverse audience of all ages while preserving the unique character of the A.T. hiking community. We will also continue our educational initiatives concerning Leave No Trace principles and backcountry ethics, and our advocacy campaigns focused on preserving at-risk areas along the length of the Trail.
The public relations intern will be responsible for:
- Assisting the ATC in targeting its media outreach by researching and creating relevant lists of media contacts.
- Developing a list of top influencers, bloggers and journalists that cover conservation issues and/or outdoor recreation.
- Drafting basic public relations materials such as fact sheets or media pitches.
- Conducting interviews with ATC staff in order to draft press releases.
- Documenting and monitoring media coverage.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Background in marketing, communications, English or other related disciplines
- Strong communications and writing skills
- Familiar with social networking sites
- Ability to work individually and self-driven projects
- Attention to every information and accuracy in performance
- Highly self-motivated individual
- Desire to learn and contribute
- Working on the computer for prolonged periods.
- Ability to communicate with individuals by phone, e-mail and in person.
- Sitting for prolonged periods.
- Shared/open office environment with modest noise level.
EXPLORE MORE POSITIONS
To apply for this position please submit your resume to: [email protected]. All resumes should be emailed as a Microsoft Word document, saved as "Last Name_First Name". Please indicated in your email (preferable in the subject line) the position you are applying for along with the term. For example "Public Relations Internship_Spring 20XX".
Spring Term: Applications due second week of January.
Summer Term: Applications due second week of April.
Fall Term: Applications due last week of August.