Program Assistant for Volunteers - Internship
Asheville, North Carolina
Program Director, Volunteer Relations
The Appalachian Trail Conservancy’s mission is to preserve and manage the Appalachian Trail – ensuring that its vast natural beauty and priceless cultural heritage can be shared and enjoyed today, tomorrow, and for centuries to come.
This position helps advance volunteer and training opportunities on the Appalachian Trail (A.T.) primarily through personal relationships, online research and effective written communications. Working with key contacts within A.T. maintaining clubs, the goal of the Program Assistant for Volunteers position is to promote volunteer opportunities and increase participation from new volunteers. The selected candidate must be able to work both independently with minimal supervision and cooperatively as a team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Research online and over the phone with club volunteer leaders upcoming A.T. volunteer events.
- Assist event hosts in crafting compelling messages for volunteer events to be posted on ATC’s website and through social media.
- Track volunteer interest for events posted through ATC’s website.
- Follow-up with event hosts after activities to collect participation information and collect lessons learned to be shared. Processes work-trip rosters, accomplishments, and file photos.
- Contact ATC staff to generate training and workshop listings for ATC’s website.
- Assist volunteer program staff in exploring ideas for volunteer recruitment strategy.
- Facilitate volunteer capacity building through promotion of opportunities on regional volunteer hubs.
- Excellent persuasive writing skills.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Strong competence with word processing and spreadsheets and database skills
- Experience with media relations and public relations
- Experience writing for social media and familiarity with social networking sites
- Familiarity with the Appalachian Trail and experience with trail work is desirable
- Ability to problem-solve
- High degree of initiative and a team player
- Desire to learn and contribute
- Ability to communicate with individuals by phone, email and in person.
- Working on the phone or computer for prolonged periods.
- Visits to high-profile volunteer project sites may entail hiking, but is not required.
Time and Location
The position requires 6-8 hours per week at the Appalachian Trail Conservancy’s office on Zillicoa St. in Asheville, North Carolina where there is moderate noise level due to an office environment with a high level of activity of staff and volunteers on the phone, computers and using printers. The selected candidate will work two days of 3-4 hours each that can be scheduled in advance to accommodate his/her schedule.
Exposure to recreation resource management. Opportunities to meet professionals in the field of conservation working in non-profits and federal agencies to manage the Appalachian Trail. Gain essential skills in volunteer coordination and non-profit program administration.
EXPLORE MORE POSITIONS
To apply for this internship please submit a letter of interest and a resume to: [email protected] with “Program Assistant (and your name)” in the subject line.